Help and Advice

Finding a house or a flat to live in can be a daunting prospect.  There can be many decisions to make and ultimately you will be entering into a contractual arrangement of a financial nature.
It is vitally important you take your time when choosing a property to live in for several reasons.  You need to consider the following points carefully before making a decision - 


Who am I going to live with?

Take time to consider who you feel is right to live with; being friends with someone is very different to being their housemate.  Have honest conversations with each other about your likes, dislikes and living habits.  Decide if you want to live with a large group, small group or on your own. 

What kind of property am I looking for?

There is a large selection of properties on the university approved list, something for everyone.  Take the time to look at the selection before putting in a criteria; this will enable you to view the full range of properties available.  Also remember, properties are added throughout the year, so it is always worth checking back to see what new properties have been added.

Make a list of what is important to you; do you want a garden, driveway, is it important to have more than one bathroom?  All properties offer different things, so take the time check and ensure it meets your criteria.  If you don’t find what you are looking for straightaway, check back or get in touch with the Housing Support Team.


What are the different tenancy agreements, and which is right for me?

There are two main tenancy agreements you will see when looking at student accommodation.  Both are Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreements; but they can either be individual/sole or joint and several.


An Individual/Sole Tenancy Agreement is an agreement where only on tenant signs it along with the landlord and is legally binding.  This means you are solely responsible for the terms laid out in the agreement.


A Joint & Several Tenancy Agreement is an agreement where all the tenants of the property sign one agreement with the landlord.  This will mean you all become jointly liable for all terms of the agreement including in some cases the rent.  If you are all liable for all terms including the rent, you could be asked to pay the rent of another tenant if they fail to do so.


Both types of agreement are very common, but it is important you check through before you sign and understand all elements.  We would always recommend you ask a parent, guardian, friend or a member of the Housing Support Team to read through your agreement before you sign it.


All tenancy agreements are legally binding and once signed you are not able to change your mind, there are no ‘cooling off’ periods and they only way to be released is with the landlord's permission.  You will remain responsible for the rent for the entire contract length once signed.


How long do I need the property for?

All contracts will vary in length, normally anywhere from 40 – 52 weeks. It is important you choose the right contract length for you. Again, once you have signed you are committed, and the term of the tenancy cannot be changed.


The University of Gloucestershire has a dedicated Housing Support Team for all students looking for approved university accommodation. Visit the universities website for advice and support,


The Housing Support Team can be contacted throughout the year - Housing Support Team, 01242 715322 /


Below you will find further useful information put together by StudentPad. Please be aware this may not all apply to you or the property you are looking at, but it is useful information to read through. Do contact the Housing Support Team if you have any questions, comments or concerns.

Read more